Update: NYC’s Paid Safe and Sick Leave Law
By Dawn Perri, Chief Human Resources Officer
The New York City Office of Labor Policy and Standards recently issued amendments to NYC’s Paid Safe and Sick Leave Law. Some took effect on September 30, 2020 and others will take effect January 1, 2021.
Effective September 30, 2020
Employers must adhere to the following:
- provide domestic workers with 40 hours of paid safe and sick leave;
- allow employees to use safe and sick leave as it is accrued;
- reimburse employees who must pay for required documentation after three consecutive workdays of leave;
- list on employees’ paystubs (or any document issued each pay period) the amounts of accrued and used leave and the total balance of accrued leave. [Note: For this requirement only, employers that could not operationalize the documentation requirement by September 30, 2020 ‒ but are working in good faith on implementation ‒ will have up to November 30, 2020 to ensure compliance without a penalty.]
Effective January 1, 2021
- 100 or more employees must provide up to 56 hours of paid leave.
- Four or fewer employees and a net income of $1 million or more must provide PAID leave.
The NYC Department of Consumer and Worker Protection (DCWP) web page defines the following as:
Safe Leave: Time off work for safety reasons. Covered employees can use safe leave to seek assistance or to take other safety measures if the employee or a family member is the victim of any act or threat of domestic violence, unwanted sexual contact, stalking, or human trafficking.
Sick Leave: Time off work for health reasons. Covered employees can use sick leave for the care and treatment of themselves or a family member.
Employers and employees may get more information, as well as keep up-to-date, by visiting the DCWP website.
Please reach out to our HR professionals with any questions about this or anything else pertaining to your workforce and let us help you navigate through these difficult times.
Chief Human Resources Officer
[email protected] | 914.341.7046