In 1891, PKF O’Connor Davies made a commitment to the non-profit sector. Today, we work with well over 200 private foundations and nearly 2,000 non-profit organizations as a whole.
Meet the Partners
Among of the most comprehensive of its kind, our Private Foundation Practice serves more than 225 private foundations, including family, corporate, community and independent groups, as well as grant-making organizations. Our clients’ net worth ranges from $5 million to $5 billion and maintain national and international presences.
With a vivid understanding of, and appreciation for, the unique way foundations operate, our professionals assist with board governance, transparency in financial reporting and improving internal controls systems. Under the distinguished leadership of Practice Leaders Tom Blaney and Chris Petermann, they are recognized for their detailed knowledge of state and federal regulations, which equips them to assist with specific business issues and challenges as they arise.
125 years of celebrating the power of philanthropy by supporting our clients and their vital initiatives.
Our Private Foundation Services
We offer comprehensive audit and tax services, in-depth internal controls support and also have significant experience in complex investment portfolios and diversified grant-making activities. Our services include:
- Tax compliance
- 5% minimum qualifying distribution modeling and requirements forecasting
- Analyzing and planning for a possible reduction in excise tax from 2% to 1%
- Avoidance of self-dealing situations
- Monitoring and investigating the presence of Unrelated Business Tax Exposure
- Identifying blocker corporations and presence of US tax filings for foreign transactions
- Review for jeopardizing investments and excess business holdings situations
- Audit, review and compilation reporting
- Filing of 990-PF, 990-T, US state filings, US filings for foreign transactions
- Employee benefit audits
- IT systems reviews
- Internal control design and reviewing reports
- CFO/COO operations and bookkeeping services
- Valuation analysis of alternative investments
- Administration of investments and alternative investment accounting
- Performance reporting
- Due diligence and transaction services
- Expenditure responsibility analysis
- Program-related investment guidance
- Analyzing financial statements & Forms 990 of grantees
- Grant expenditure evaluation
- Advantages of security gifting
- Employee “best practices” training
- Board governance and training, including conflict-of-interest policies
- Employee compensation and benefits, including 403(b) and 457 plans
- Software selection consulting
- Forensic accounting engagements, investigating fraud and embezzlement
- Assistance on L3C analysis
- Review and preparation of investment policies
Commitment to Client Relationships
Our rare industry focus and longstanding commitment to continuing professional education ensure our clients the benefit of profound expertise, highly personalized service, greater engagement efficiency and added value in the financial management of the foundation.