Coming to America – Tax Seminar
Join Leo Parmegiani and Ralf Ruedenburg with PKF O’Connor Davies for a complimentary seminar on Thursday, February 14th – “Coming to America: What Individuals Need to Know from an Income and Estate/Trust Tax Point of View.”
The seminar will cover the basic tax aspects of coming to the US, whether you are a businessperson, investor or key re-located employee. There will be a discussion of the planning techniques, pitfalls and compliance issues which must be considered particularly if permanent residence is sought. Some of the topics covered will include:
- US income tax and tax implications on federal and New York state tax return filing requirements for non-US citizens.
- For individuals moving to the US during the calendar year “dual status alien” status.
- Discussion on what is considered gross taxable income including consideration of US income tax treaties.
- The importance of the Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA) for non-US citizens and additional reporting requirements for individuals with foreign assets such as Foreign Bank Account Reporting (FBAR).
- The estate tax portion will include an overview of the US estate tax regime at the federal Ievel and discuss circumstances in which the estate of a non-US citizen would be subject to US estate tax and what assets will be taxed upon death. As multiple countries are often involved, the problem of double taxation and US estate & gift tax treaties will be highlighted.
- Basic structuring techniques that could benefit non-US citizens and other US estate tax planning.
8:00 am – 8:30 am: Sign-In & Introductions
8:30 am – 9:30 am: Presentation
9:30 am -10:30 am: Q&A and Networking
Jonathan I. Shenkman
Financial Advisor/OMEGA Portfolio Manager
Shenkman Private Client Group of Oppenheimer & Co. Inc.
This event is complimentary and breakfast is included (Kosher dietary laws observed). CPE Credits will be determined and available to receive at the conference.
Who Should Attend
Accountants and attorneys
Contact Jonathan Shenkman.